Client Centered Legal Services

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  » How do I qualify for an H-1B specialty occupation visa?

How do I qualify for an H-1B specialty occupation visa?

On Behalf of | Jun 2, 2022 | Immigration Law

An important aspect of applying for an employment visa is knowing which type you need. If you apply for the wrong one, immigration officials will deny your application.

One option you have is the H-1B visa. According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the H-1B specialty occupations visa has specific education and background requirements. You must meet every requirement for the visa. In addition, the job should meet all requirements.

Education requirements

To get an H-1B visa, you need to have a bachelor’s degree that is in your specialty area. The degree must come from a school accredited in the U.S. Some foreign degrees will also qualify. Alternatively, you can hold a specialty license or certification. You should verify that your background meets the requirements before applying.

Job requirements

The job you wish to do when in the U.S. will need to meet certain conditions, too. It must require at least a bachelor’s degree and specialized skills to do the job. These requirements should be standard within the industry. For example, an employer cannot create these requirements for the position just so you can qualify for the H-1B visa. To combat this, the job must have duties that are so specific that you require specialized training to do them. Immigration officials will look into the job, so make sure it is above board.

The H-1B visa is only one of a variety of work visas. If you do not qualify for it, then you may want to look at the other options. Always choose the one for which you meet all the requirements.