Client Centered Legal Services

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Immigration Law
  4.  » An ITIN number gives undocumented workers stimulus money

An ITIN number gives undocumented workers stimulus money

On Behalf of | Mar 15, 2021 | Immigration Law

Many immigrants without a Social Security number may believe that they won’t benefit from government stimulus payments. However, undocumented workers in California can get money from the Golden State’s Stimulus package if they have an individual taxpayer identification number, which is commonly referred to as ITIN.

Apply or renew your ITIN

Undocumented immigration status doesn’t always prevent you from receiving government benefits. If they fill out the required forms and documentation, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues ITINs to immigrants who don’t qualify to receive Social Security numbers. The type of stimulus you and your family would receive wouldn’t come from the federal government but the State of California. The ITIN is, essentially, a processing number that allows anyone to file taxes.

An ITIN will make it possible for you and your family to obtain several different types of benefits. If you earn less than $30,00 a year, you can access the Young Child Tax Credit and the California Earned Income Tax Credit. It also allows you to receive a one-time payment of $1,200, and if you earn under $75,000 a year, you may receive a one-time $600 stimulus payment.

Applying for Your ITIN

Anyone interested in receiving an ITIN must complete the IRS W-7 form and also submit a federal income tax return. You must also submit documents that prove your identity, such as a passport. The IRS recommends that you submit these documents in person for review at one of its offices.

Naturally, this process makes some people scared to apply for an ITIN as they believe that government officials will come after them because of their immigration status. Consulting with lawyers experienced in immigration issues can help you get the stimulus money you need by helping you file your forms and answer your questions about your immigration status.